Saturday, October 1, 2011

Ecclesiarchy Crazies

So far, the only Inquisimunda-related progress I've made is to put together a trio of Ecclesiarchy agents.  In an earlier post, I babbled a bit about my primary method of character creation.  The process of concept sketching followed by part-sourcing is definitely my preferred method, but now and then I find a model that I find so impressive, that it creates its own role for me and the concept sketch isn't really necessary.  All I do is dream up minor conversion ideas and roll with it.  In this case, those models are the Empire Battle Wizards and Arch-Confessor Kyrinov.  I'll explain each conversion below:


For me, Kyrinov is one of the most evocative miniatures Games Workshop has produced.  His pose, facial expression, robes, and a hat that would make the Pope green with envy, all serve to make him the perfect embodiment of the Ecclesiarchy.  I had known for a while that when I started to put together my Inquisimunda models, I wanted to build some models to represent the zealous nutjobs of the Ecclesiarchy, and that I wanted to use the Kyrinov model to represent their leader. 

To make the conversion unique, I built him a custom flamer out of a Space Marine flamer and Dark Angel accessory.  My Ecclesiarchy band will attempt to embody the "purge with fire" ethic that is so often associated with the Cult of the Redeemer and Ordo Hereticus (with whom these fellows are allied), so that gave me a good reason to get rid of his characteristic mace and replace it with a more appropriate weapon for a man who probably doesn't have the upper-body strength to give a mace like that a really good swing.  The flamer feels to me as if it's missing something, so I will sit on it for a few days to decide if I need to add anything to it now, or if it's something that can be addressed during painting.


This Preacher really isn't a conversion at all.  Every piece on him is straight from the Empire Battle Wizards set, and all I added was a strip of green stuff to represent the left end of his stole, which, for whatever reason, was not sculpted onto that particular left arm option.  I love the pose here.  He really does seem as if he is screaming passages of holy scripture at the enemy as zealots with flamers reduce them to ash.  And again, as a man who appreciates an impressive hat, I couldn't possibly use any other head.



And finally we have our Templar.  He is obviously based on the other Empire Battle Wizard, with a head swap from a Dark Elf and an old-school bolt pistol.  His fiery staff reinforces the "purge with fire" ethic, and he will eventually be accompanied by two henchmen wielding flame weapons.

No comments:

Post a Comment